In recognition of the invaluable contribution that young carers make to society the Cabinet Secretary for Social Security, Ms Somerville MSP, has announced that Social Security Scotland will start to deliver the new Young Carer Grant from 8am on Monday 21 October 2019.
The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly cash payment of £300 for 16-18 year olds which carers can spend as they choose. Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:
- they live in Scotland
- they are 16, 17 or 18 years of age when applying
- caring for an average of 16 hours per week, over a 13 week period
- care for someone normally paid a qualifying disability benefit
- they have not applied for or receive Carer’s Allowance
- they are not paid or volunteer to care
Young carers will be able to apply from 21 October online at https://www.mygov.scot/benefits/ or through the Freephone helpline at 0800 182 2222. The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. A paper application will also be available and can be requested via our helpline or downloaded direct from https://www.mygov.scot/benefits/.
Further information is available in the Young Carer Grant Leaflet, available for download below: