Scotland’s first ever Year of Young People (YoYP) is happening in 2018. It aims to inspire all ages through its young people (8-26 years old) by celebrating their achievements, valuing their contributions to communities and creating new opportunities for them to shine on a local and global stage. YoYP 2018 is an opportunity to celebrate the amazing young personalities, talents, and achievers that make up Scotland.
The main objectives of YoYP 2018 are to:
- Provide a platform for young people to have their views heard and acted upon
- Showcase the amazing talents of young people through events and media
- Develop better understanding, co-operation and respect between generations
- Recognise the impact of teachers, youth workers and other supporting adults on young people’s lives
- Provide opportunities for young people to express themselves through culture, sport and other activities
YoYP 2018 builds on the success of Scotland’s previous Themed Years which have celebrated everything from the country’s food and drink, natural landscapes innovation, architecture and design through to its history, heritage and creativity.
YoYP 2018 will offer a year-long programme of events and activities, giving young people in Scotland the opportunity to show the world what they are made of. YoYP 2018 is led by the Scottish Government, working in collaboration with a core group of delivery partners including VisitScotland, EventScotland, Young Scot, Children in Scotland, Scottish Youth Parliament, Creative Scotland and YouthLink Scotland.
Six YOYP 2018 themes were developed from discussion events held with young people across Scotland. These are:
- Enterprise & Regeneration
- Equality & Discrimination
- Health & Wellbeing
To find out more about YoYP 2018 please visit http://yoyp2018.scot/what-is-yoyp/
Find the latest news about YoYP 2018 events and activities in Aberdeen here.
Join in the conversation: #YOYP2018